Skip to main content

22nd of disMay

I once heard someone say the phrase "Making peace is harder than making war." At the time, that seemed so irrational, so absurd. On April 17, 2016 just before I closed my eyes, I made one final plea to God. A plead to end this storm of air raids -that have been surrounding me for 14 months now- and fell into a slumber. Waking up hurriedly, to see the news only to be hit with a shock of disappointment that the air raids never stopped and my plead wasn't heard. To think that for a moment I believed peace would prevail, how silly of my 17 year old self.  

A few days passed and news that the peace talks were back on came and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't flooded by a new rush of hope. It's funny how much a human can hope. As happy as I was, I was equally perplexed. Bewildered by how the same people who send missiles in the earliest hours of dawn can also manage to speak of peace. Perhaps I am just not that good with multitasking, after all who am I to judge?

It's been over a month since my plead to God and he answered me today in the most unexpected way. I woke up quite early to revise for my upcoming exams; meanwhile I was hearing the distressing roaming of the air crafts but just dismissed them. Suddenly my window shook accompanied by a strong boom; I ran scuriedly to where my family were watching the unification day celebrations on TV. I cuddled up next to my mom when a second blast came and the curtains swayed. Then a third and a fourth till the finale, which was the seventh. All the while my eyes were plastered on the TV, my mouth was slightly open, and I was in shock about what I saw. I expected that after seven terrifying sound bombs my people would evacuate the scene, but rather they started chanting; "By spirit, by blood, we will redeem you Yemen". And once again I am proven wrong; to merely think these bombs might dispatch our spirits. It is impossible!

To say the least, I am quite disappointed in Saudi Arabia, why did they feel the need to send sound bombs during our glorious unification day? and while we are having "peace talks"? But then again what can you expect from people who mercilessly kill baby infants and the physically disabled?! 


In the end, no matter how long we are showered by air raids we will never give in to Saudi. We will never forget who we are, no matter how hard they try to wipe out our identities. This is Yemen and we've been here for the past 3000 years and there is no bomb strong enough to make us forget that. We are rooted in the soils of our country, eternally.


Comments

  1. This is a powerful piece of writing. I can't imagine what it must be like to live under the constant threat of bombing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

October 11, 2015

‪#‎ 200Days‬  have changed me. 100 felt important 200 just doesn't have a ring to it. It hurts but it doesn't hurt like it used to, not because I grew numb to death, rather I learned that death is like an arch it pulls you back a step -or two- then when it let go's you leap forward with full force.  200 days means nothing. I feel the same anger and frustration I have been feeling these past six months, every air raid is still as petrifying as the very first one. The only thing  that changed is I now know who I am mad at and why I am mad at them. 200 days have made me stronger. I learned that death has a bitter-sweet tang. A taste I sometimes crave. I linger for the way death stares us bluntly in the eyes and leaves us there awaiting a closer encounter. Everyday that passes is a closer day to the end. 200 days has supported me with faith. 200 days and still counting.

Bold and Brave

In my tender, brutal days I’ve come to learn that connections can’t be enforced, some things are inherent, a natural reflex. We grow up believing that emotions are always two sided, that even the dark days aren’t that dark, to some extent that might be true, but as we evolve mentally we realize that life is far from fair. As we move forth we conclude that our connections may reach a certain depth then break off, and that is ok. It’s okay to end a link even if it’s a blood link. Nothing is worth than enforcing emotions, enforcing a connection. Blood links are the hardest to surpass but sometimes they are the most toxic ties we have. Letting go of that string is scary, but in time you’ll learn how to fly. Be brave and have faith in your strength; most importantly have faith in your self, even if you feel like your frail and weak. You have so much more to give back to this world as you stand solely at the top of your summit about to take off. You don’t need those chains to rise,...

Diaries of a nurse: The Labor Room

I remember the very first baby I saw come to life had such a beautiful mother.   Finally, we were upgraded to the labor room! The first week was filled with gauze and linen sheets. It was an eternal process of making beds and folding gauze, and honestly I started to doubt  the day to enter the labor room was ever going to co me and if it was worth all that preparatory work . Everyday, women would come and give birth and there would be other nurses in-training like ourselves that were very “pushy’, so as you could imagine, we were always asked to leave and they would get the chance to watch the gift of life. Next thing we did was go in extra early and build strong relationship with all the people in the labor room. However, we would always arrive 2-3 minutes later than a birth, yet we would get to clean the beautiful newborn and dress them up and our mission was soon to be accomplished! So, the next day we got in, there was such a beautiful woman, painfully l...