Skip to main content

July 15, 2015

Today I was honored to have visited a few of the 300,000 people who have been displaced as a result of this Saudi led coalition. I have never been surrounded by so much love, than with these angels. It was a pleasure to have met them and have had a conversation with them. I left with so much happiness. I was gleeful, over the moon! 
However, it breaks my heart to see how poorly they are living. They reside in governmental schools. We are speaking of people who had homes. Theyaren't beggars from the street.
No water, no electricity & no clothes. A whole family which could get to the size of 10 people live in the small space of a "classroom". A literal classroom. Let's speak food-wise they have such small amounts of food yet today while the children were each given a biscuit and a juice box, you would expect any normal child would just dig in. Especially since it's Ramadan and none of the adults could take it away. One of the kids, a boy around 7 years old gave me his biscuits. This was our conversation;
"These biscuits are for you"
"No, I won't take them they are yours!"
"Wallah you'll take them"
*Put it in my hand and starts walking away*
"I won't take them because I am fasting"
"It's okay eat them later when you break your fast"
I was left dumbfounded because I can assure you any other privileged 7 year old would have selfishly eaten it.
It is a very tough life they are living, but regardless they are full of pride and dignity. You can't help but respect these people.
Of course this isn't the end of the day. They danced and sang for me! They showed me their coloring books and explained how the feel slightly safer here. They even took photos of me. I couldn't help but teach them how to take photos and man are they fast learners! It's crazy how people who have lost so much can still manage to see the brighter side of life. To still have faith that tomorrow will be better.
Such precious, precious souls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 11, 2015

‪#‎ 200Days‬  have changed me. 100 felt important 200 just doesn't have a ring to it. It hurts but it doesn't hurt like it used to, not because I grew numb to death, rather I learned that death is like an arch it pulls you back a step -or two- then when it let go's you leap forward with full force.  200 days means nothing. I feel the same anger and frustration I have been feeling these past six months, every air raid is still as petrifying as the very first one. The only thing  that changed is I now know who I am mad at and why I am mad at them. 200 days have made me stronger. I learned that death has a bitter-sweet tang. A taste I sometimes crave. I linger for the way death stares us bluntly in the eyes and leaves us there awaiting a closer encounter. Everyday that passes is a closer day to the end. 200 days has supported me with faith. 200 days and still counting.

Bold and Brave

In my tender, brutal days I’ve come to learn that connections can’t be enforced, some things are inherent, a natural reflex. We grow up believing that emotions are always two sided, that even the dark days aren’t that dark, to some extent that might be true, but as we evolve mentally we realize that life is far from fair. As we move forth we conclude that our connections may reach a certain depth then break off, and that is ok. It’s okay to end a link even if it’s a blood link. Nothing is worth than enforcing emotions, enforcing a connection. Blood links are the hardest to surpass but sometimes they are the most toxic ties we have. Letting go of that string is scary, but in time you’ll learn how to fly. Be brave and have faith in your strength; most importantly have faith in your self, even if you feel like your frail and weak. You have so much more to give back to this world as you stand solely at the top of your summit about to take off. You don’t need those chains to rise,...

Diaries of a nurse: The Labor Room

I remember the very first baby I saw come to life had such a beautiful mother.   Finally, we were upgraded to the labor room! The first week was filled with gauze and linen sheets. It was an eternal process of making beds and folding gauze, and honestly I started to doubt  the day to enter the labor room was ever going to co me and if it was worth all that preparatory work . Everyday, women would come and give birth and there would be other nurses in-training like ourselves that were very “pushy’, so as you could imagine, we were always asked to leave and they would get the chance to watch the gift of life. Next thing we did was go in extra early and build strong relationship with all the people in the labor room. However, we would always arrive 2-3 minutes later than a birth, yet we would get to clean the beautiful newborn and dress them up and our mission was soon to be accomplished! So, the next day we got in, there was such a beautiful woman, painfully l...